Discussions: Books & More
The Brookfield Public Library currently offers seven book clubs. The Library arranges for meeting space, sets the dates of the meetings, provides copies of the books and films and, with the exception of one club, has a staff member on hand to lead the discussion or help with the meeting. New members are welcome at any time to any of the groups. Lists of current and upcoming titles for all the groups are available at the Adult Reference Desk or online. Copies of the current titles being discussed by the groups will be available for checkout about one month before each meeting.
The Library sponsors the following:
The Armchair Travel Book Club
- Explore new worlds and enjoy intriguing adventures through reading! This book group discusses nonfiction and fiction titles written by and about travelers throughout the world.
- Meets monthly on Tuesday mornings at 10:00 am.
- The Armchair Travel Book Club Reading List
Back in Time Book Club
- Discover the days gone by with the Back in Time Book Club. Everyone interested in reading and discussing historical fiction are welcome.
- Meets monthly on Thursday afternoons at 2:00 pm.
- Back in Time Book Club Reading List
The Great Lives Biography Book Club
- This book group proves that truth is often stranger than fiction by discussing the lives of fascinating people. Both historical and current biographies are discussed.
- Meets monthly on Monday afternoons at 1:00 pm.
- The Great Lives Biography Book Club Reading List
It's All Elementary Mystery Book Club
- If you can’t get enough of “who dun’ its” this is the group for you. Current and classic mysteries are discussed in this easy going, but lively group.
- Meets monthly on Monday evenings at 7:00 pm.
- It’s All Elementary Mystery Book Club Reading List
Read It and Eat
- Read It and Eat combines two of our favorite pastimes--reading and eating! In addition to a thought provoking and entertaining book discussion, we will enjoy dinner from a great local eatery. Each menu will be selected to tie in with the book being discussed.
- Read It and Eat will meet at various times throughout the year.
- Read It and Eat Book Club Reading List
Short and Sweet Book Club
- We will read and discuss a short story or two or a novella.
- Meets the second Thursday of each month at 1:00 pm.
- Short and Sweet Book Club
Talking about Books
- Can’t decide on your favorite genre? Then this is the perfect group for you. Everything from classics to current nonfiction is discussed. The only requirement is a love of books.
- Meets evenings at 7:00 pm the second Tuesday of every month (September - May)
- Talking About Books Reading List
We're Not Kidding Around - Children's Classics for Adults
- Never underestimate the power of Children's Literature! Revisit a classic or enjoy something you may have missed. There is more to these books than meets the eye.
- Meets the first Friday of every month at 2:00 pm (April - November).
- We're Not Kidding Around - Children's Classics for Adults
Worlds of Speculative Fiction-Philosophical Theme – Led by Gregory Sadler, PH.D.
- In this monthly series, participants discuss classic and contemporary science-fiction, fantasy, and horror authors; the narrative worlds they create; and some of the philosophical themes dealt with in their works.
- Meets monthly on Thursday evenings at 7:00 pm.
- Worlds of Speculative Fiction Reading List
Book Club Kits
- If you have your own book club, the Library also has a selection of over 100 Book Club Kits. Book Club Kits are designed specifically for book clubs. Each Kit contains multiple copies of a book, information about the author and discussion questions. Book Club Kits may be checked out for 90 days. Brookfield Public Library Book Club Kit Title List
To find a book club kit, go to our Online Catalog.
- Click on the Book Club Kit link located in the left column.
- If you have any questions, please ask an Adult Reference Librarian for assistance.