In-Person Absentee Ballots a/k/a EARLY VOTING:
Location/Hours for In-Person Absentee Voting are listed below:
Location: City Hall Clerk’s Office, 2000 N Calhoun Road Brookfield WI 53005
Dates: Begins Tuesday, February 7, 2023, and Ends: Friday, February 17, 2023
Hours: 8:00 am., to 5:00 pm., (Weekdays, Monday–Friday)
For February 2023 - we will have no extended hours for in-person absentee voting. Check back for April.
By Mail Absentee Ballots:
REQUESTS FOR ABSENTEE BALLOTS: You must make the request for an absentee ballot in writing. You may do this online, via email, or by mailing us a letter. Acceptable Photo ID is required for voting absentee both by mail and in-person. Absentee voting can be done in-person or by mail ballot as indicated in the Option for Voting materials. Once ballot stock has been received in our office from the printers, we are able to get them in the mail to you within 1 business day of your request.
RETURNING YOUR MAIL BALLOT:
YOU MUST RETURN YOUR BALLOT IN PERSON OR BY USPS MAIL. Any ballots not at the polling location by 8:00 PM on Election Day will not be counted.
- USPS Mail Return: The ballot must be received back by no later than Election Day in order to count. The Postal Service advises at least 2-5 days for local delivery and one month or more for overseas delivery.
- Personal Delivery Return:
- Before Election Day - You may personally deliver your ballot to the Clerk's Office at City Hall at 2000 North Calhoun Road, Brookfield WI 53005 Monday to Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- On Election Day, you may vote in person at your polling location. If you want to return your absentee, you may return your absentee ballot to the Clerk's Office. Keep in mind the Clerk must have enough time to get your ballot over to the polling site - Wis Stat 6.87(6). We recommend dropping it off BEFORE 5:00 PM to make sure your vote counts.
CAN I USE A BALLOT DROP BOX?
No. Any ballots returned in the drop box will be mailed back to the voter.
TRACKING YOUR MAIL BALLOT:
You can track the status of your absentee ballot from the request to delivery and also when it has been received back by the City, on the MyVote Wisconsin website under the MyVoterInfo tab. Once you return an absentee ballot, you may NOT vote at your polling location. If you have questions concerning your absentee ballot, please contact the City Clerk's Office at (262) 782-9650
MAIL BALLOT ENVELOPES ARE INSPECTED BY ELECTION INSPECTORS FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- Voter Signature Required: Sign the certificate envelope where it indicates Voter Signature. Don't forget to enclose the ballot.
- Witness Signature Required: Any qualified elector (18 years or older, US Citizen, Not a felon) can sign as your witness including spouses, siblings, adult children, neighbors, or friends. If you don’t have a witness to sign, we encourage you to vote in-person absentee.
- Witness Address Required: Even if the address is the same as yours, you must include the witness's address.
- Evidence of Tampering: DON’T TAPE YOUR ENVELOPE! Election Inspectors will view that as evidence that your envelope was opened and resealed as a tampering event and will reject your ballot. Please use a damp cloth or glue stick to seal your ballot envelope.