REQUESTS FOR ABSENTEE BALLOTS: You must make the request for an absentee ballot in writing. You may do this online, via email or by mailing us a letter. Acceptable Photo ID is required for voting absentee both by mail and in-person. Absentee voting can be done in-person or by mail ballot as indicated in the Option for Voting materials. Once ballot stock has been received in our office from the printers, we are able to get them in mail to you within 1 business day of your request. You can track your absentee ballot from request to delivery on the MyVote Wisconsin website under the MyVoterInfo tab.
RETURNING YOUR MAIL BALLOT:
YOU MUST RETURN YOUR BALLOT IN PERSON OR BY USPS MAIL.
- USPS Mail Return: The ballot must be received back by no later than Election Day in order to count. The Postal Service advises at least 2-5 days for local delivery and longer for out of the area delivery.
- Personal Delivery Return: You may personally deliver your ballot to the Clerk's Office at City Hall at 2000 North Calhoun Road, Brookfield WI 53005 M-F from 8 am - 5 pm. On Election Day, in addition to the Clerk's Office, you may return your absentee ballot to the clerk at the Brookfield Conference Center Central Count site at 325 South Moorland Road, Brookfield, WI 53005, from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
CAN I USE A BALLOT DROP BOX?
- January 21st - Pursuant to Judge Bohren's order, ballots may no longer be placed in the City drop box.
- January 24th - District 4 Court of Appeals court reinstates absentee ballot drop boxes for Feb. 15 primary. Expiring February 16th.
- February 16th - Ballots may no longer be place in the City drop box. Any ballots dropped off at the Clerk's office must be by the person named on the ballot.
Stay tuned for more information on ballot drop boxes.
TRACKING YOUR MAIL BALLOT:
You can track the status of your absentee ballot from the request to delivery and also when it has been received back by the City, on the MyVote Wisconsin website under the MyVoterInfo tab. Once you return an absentee ballot, you may NOT vote at your polling location. If you have questions concerning your absentee ballot, please contact the City Clerk's Office at (262) 782-9650
MAIL BALLOT ENVELOPES ARE INSPECTED FOR THE FOLLOWING BY ELECTION INSPECTORS IN ORDER TO BE COUNTED:
- Voter Signature Required: Sign the certificate envelope where it indicates Voter Signature. Don't forget to enclose the ballot.
- Witness Signature Required: Any qualified elector (18 years or older, US Citizen, Not a felon) can sign as your witness including spouses, siblings, adult children, neighbors, or friends. If you don’t have a witness to sign, we encourage you to vote in-person absentee.
- Witness Address Required: Even if the address is the same as yours, you must include the witness address.
- Evidence of Tampering: DON’T TAPE YOUR ENVELOPE! Election Inspectors will view that as evidence that your envelope was opened and resealed as a tampering event and will reject your ballot. Please use a damp cloth or glue stick to seal your ballot envelope.
TRACK THE DELIVERY AND RECEIPT OF YOUR BALLOT UNDER THE "MY VOTER INFO" TAB ON MYVOTE!
In-Person Absentee Ballots a/k/a EARLY VOTING:
Location/Hours for In-Person Absentee Voting are listed below:
Location: City Hall Clerk’s Office, 2000 N Calhoun Road Brookfield WI 53005
Dates: Begins Tuesday, July 26, 2022, and Ends: Friday, August 5th, 2022
Hours: 8:00 am., to 5:00 pm., (Weekdays, Monday–Friday)
Provisional Ballots for August 9th, 2022: TBD