Candidates for Elected Office
The City of Brookfield elected officials serve a 4-year term. There are no local offices on the ballot for elections held in odd years.
Information concerning aldermanic district boundaries may be found by clicking the following link: Aldermanic Boundary Map Opens a New Window.
If you are an incumbent and decide against running, you must file a Notification of Non-Candidacy Form. All candidates must file a campaign finance statement upon formulating their intent to run for public office.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- December 1 of Odd Year: Candidates may not circulate nomination papers until December 1 of an odd year for the City of Brookfield.
- 2nd Friday Preceding Deadline: Notification of Non-Candidacy must be received by the proper filing officer no later than 5:00 p.m. on the 2nd Friday preceding the deadline for filing ballot access documents to avoid an extension of time for filing such papers. Failure to notify will extend the nomination paper deadline by 72 hours for that office. Paperwork link below.
- First Tuesday in January: The deadline for filing nomination papers is 5:00 pm., on the first Tuesday in January in the office of the City Clerk. (WI State Stat 8.05(3)(a)
Please read and carefully follow all instructions for the filing of candidacy forms so you will have success in getting your name on the ballot. Following is the candidate’s packet to gain access to the ballot along with a Candidate’s Handbook to help you:
- Candidate's Filing Packet Opens a New Window.
- Candidate’s Handbook Opens a New Window. Opens a New Window.
- Notification of Non-Candidacy for Incumbent Office Holders Opens a New Window.
- Incumbents who filed Notification of Noncandidacy
- Economic Statement Manual for Municipal Judge Candidates Opens a New Window.
Campaign Finance Resources from the Wisconsin Ethics Commission:
For Candidates (also listed on Candidate Finance Reporting Overview page):
- Lifecycle of a Candidate Committee recording (11.5 minutes), PowerPoint - Covering registration, filing exemption, and termination of a candidate committee.
- Local Candidate Duties and Prohibitions recording (15 minutes), PowerPoint - Covering various responsibilities of a local candidate committee.
- Campaign Finance Reporting Requirements recording (9 minutes), PowerPoint - A walkthrough of how to file campaign finance reports.
- Contact Listing of Municipal Candidates.
- The Certification of Winning Candidates can be found under Election Notices.
- Badger Voter Online Site - To obtain voter information, walking lists, or participation reports from the Statewide Voter Registration System you must go online to the Badger Voters site to obtain the information (Following is the link for your convenience)
Questions concerning candidacy may be directed to the Office of the City Clerk at (262) 782-9650.