I have some questions about trees in the right-of-way in front of my house or on my property - who can I contact?
Right of Way Trees

The City typically owns property adjacent to roadways which is referred to as the Right of Way (ROW). This area is where most utilities are located. The pruning or removal of trees located in this area is performed by the City. Residential streets typically have a ROW of 30’ from the center of the road. Arterial streets have a greater ROW. The Right-of-Way can vary greatly on both residential and arterial streets.

City owned trees are pruned on a city-wide programmed cycle. The City is divided into six forestry management units. Within each unit, all public trees in parks, street right-of-ways and public grounds are pruned. After all six units are pruned, the cycle will start over. Stated simply, all City trees will be pruned once every six years. This is the most effective process to care for City trees.

Annually, the City arborist conducts a city-wide tree removal survey of public trees. This usually occurs in September. Trees identified for removal will be marked with an orange dot. All dead or hazardous trees marked will be scheduled to be removed over the winter months.

Trees on Private Property

If you have questions about trees on your property, there are a number of ways to get information. The UW-Extension Horticulture Helpline can be called at (262) 548-7779 to answer your tree or horticulture questions.

On the web you can also access the University of Wisconsin’s urban horticulture site @ http://uwex.edu/ces/wihort/. There is an abundance of information in all areas of horticulture located there.

Finally, it may be best to call in a professional to evaluate your trees. A certified arborist can give you recommendations on the core of your trees. A list of certified arborists for hire can be found at the Wisconsin Arborist Association website @ http://www.waa-isa.org/

Show All Answers

1. I have some questions about trees in the right-of-way in front of my house or on my property - who can I contact?
2. What picnic areas/shelters are available to rent in the park system and how do I reserve them?
3. Where is Fox Brook Park? What are the hours and cost? Are there picnic areas/shelters at the park and what are the fees?
4. Are dogs allowed in City Parks? Where can I go to exercise my dog?
5. Where can I find out about recreation programs and classes being offered and how to register?
6. Where can I get information about other independent recreation groups/organizations (i.e. Elmbrook United Soccer, Elmbrook Little, Elmbrook Swim Club, etc)?
7. What job opportunities does the Department have and how would I apply?
8. I have some questions about plants (or bugs or soil) on my property. Who can I talk to?
9. Is a special permit needed to take pictures in City of Brookfield parks (such as for a wedding, etc.)?